Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Head Games

Since I volunteered to read for the Rhode Island Teen Book Award Committee again, I spent the weekend reading two great books. The first one I read was Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini. I read the first book he wrote which was true stories about his high school adventures. This time out Vizzini wrote, what I think, is a great novel with real characters, one of whom experiences something sort of unbelievable. The main character swallows a pill, called a squip, which teaches him to be cool. With the squip in his system he goes to parties, makes out with girls and aces a test without studying. Of course there is a down side to the squip but I'm not going to reveal the ending, of course.

Aside from this unbelievable twist, I think the dialogue and characters were very good. If you're looking for something different, try this one!