Tuesday, October 12, 2004

still reading

Once again I spent part of my weekend reading ... this weekend I finished two books that I'm reading as part of the RI Teen Book Award Committee. The one I really enjoyed was Faerie Wars (2003) by Herbie Brennan. This book caught my attention from the beginning because the main character is a boy in present day England who deals with his parents' separation and his lack of friends. Then we meet a boy in another realm who cares about animals and nearly gets killed in the first scene. Later we find out that he is the son of the emperor who ends up accidentally sent to present day England meeting the boy from the beginning of the novel. Good book, really kept me going

The other one I just finished is Breath (2003) by Donna Jo Napoli. I had high hopes for this book because the other book I read by the same author Beast (2000) was really good. This book was interesting but confusing. Napoli seems to always take a story we're all familiar with like Beauty and the Beast or, in this case, the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Do you know this story? The town is plagued by rats and the piper offers to get rid of the rat for a price. When he isn't paid he spirits all of the children out of the town, into the hils outside the town and they are never seen again.

This sequence doesn't occur until nearly the end of Breath but in the meantime we meet a boy named Salz who suffers from a weird breathing disorder (in the afterword we learn it was cystic fibrosis) who remains healthier than his family and neighbors when a bizarre illness overtakes one and all. The whole story is a bit hard to follow but you may like it more than I did!