Saturday, November 20, 2004

one of those hideous books where the mother dies

Just the other day I was talking to a ninth grade girl who told me she liked the book What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones. I haven't read this yet but one of the new books on my stack of books to read was One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies, also by Sonya Sones, so I read that one. This is another novel written in the form of a poems. In this one the narrator's voice is the same for each one and it's the girl who is the main character of the book.

Since I do enjoy poetry, I have no problem with the format and I feel as if they are very quick to read. Ruby writes about her life after her mother dies and she is sent to live with the father she never knew. This isn't a new theme in teen fiction except this time her father is a famous movie star who lives in L.A. so she is adjusting to life without her mother and adapting to a very different lifestyle at the same time.

I'm planning to suggest this title for the RI Teen Book Award list if it isn't on there already!