Friday, May 27, 2005

A Boy No More

Almost every day at work I ask kids about what they're reading. Often I read those books myself. About a month ago my 13-year-old son brought home a book called A Boy At War by Harry Mazer. It's about a boy who witnesses the attack on Pearl Harbo that kills his navy dad.

I read that one and when I went to look up the book I saw that there was a sequel published in 2004 called A Boy No More that follows Adam's new life in Bakersfield, California with his mom and younger sister. More importantly Adam meets up with his Hawaiian friend Davi Mori who is now living with his family at Manzanar, the interment camp set up for Japanese Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

After reading A Boy No More, I realized that this part of U.S. history was not familiar to me so I was glad to read author Harry Mazer's historical resource notes at the back of the book. If you like historical fiction, you'll like this one!