Saturday, July 09, 2005

Eragon

Well, I finished reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini, the book chosen for 2005 RI Teen Book Award. Teens around the state loved this 500 page book about an orphaned boy who is destined to be a dragon rider.

When this book was published, the interesting story about it was that it was written by a 16-year-old boy who lives in Montana and was homeschooled by his parents. One friend who read this one felt that it borrowed too much from other fantasy writers. It does remind me of Middle Earth in a lot of ways even though it's been a long time since I've read Tolkien.

It took me a while to read this book so, it wasn't my favorite. Lately I like the realistic fiction books I've read more. Thursday I finished Rewind by Jan Page which was about a teen who starts a rock band without knowing his own parents were in a band like his 17 years ago, something they've never talked about with him. When a speaker falls on his head during a gig, he travels back in time and meets his parents learning a lot about them and their lives before he was born. The book won't be published until September but teens who want to read it now can stop by the Teen Zone and borrow my advance copy.