Tuesday, August 23, 2005

A Great and Terrible Beauty

Today I started listening to A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. This book has been out for a whle but I really wanted to read it so I could read the sequel I picked up at BEA in June! I had it on my desk last week and had started reading it when I decided to switch to the audiobook. For the last few weeks I've been listening to books on CD in my car and it only takes me about a week to get through an average length book.

I started with Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer. I read the first three so I knew all the characters and the background so it was fun hearing it read aloud, especially since some of those names can be tricky to pronounce. It was a lot of fun.

Then I decided to catch up on the 2005 Newbery Award winner Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata. This was a serious and very sad, at times, story of an American family but the mom and dad were born in Japan and moved here as young people. They are trying to build a life for their two daughters and later a son in the 1950s and 60s in the South. It was strange to think Japanese people were treated poorly because of the color of their skin. The parents both work many, many hours a week just so they can get by so it was a lot different from other books I've read.

After that I decided to switch over to a fun, chick lit-type book called The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart. It's about a girl named Ruby who starts having panic attacks and begins going to a psychiatrist to figure out what's going on with her life. She attends a private high school, has a group of friends both guys and girls plus she has a boyfriend. Or she thought she had a boyfriend until Jackson breaks up with her and begins dating her friend Kim! Published in 2005, this book is sure to be popular with girls.