Friday, September 16, 2005

Shackleton's Stowaway

I've just started reading Shackleton's Stowaway by Victoria McKernan because it's a title to be considered for the 2007 RI Teen Book Award list. I've been reading a lot of teen fiction lately but this one is really different because it's historical fiction. Using real accounts of Ernest Shackleton's trip to the South Pole, the story is told about a young, inexperienced sailor who ends up stowing away on this fateful trip.

I've read another book geared for kids about Shackleton. It's called Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong which was also really good. I've talked about that book to kids because it's so fascinating to me that although these men were shipwrecked, they all lived.

A few days ago I finished reading Invisible by Pete Hautman, another considered title for RITBA 2007. It was very creepy because during the whole story, it appears that this geeky boy has a best friend who is very popular and the two talk out their bedroom windows at night. The boy is obsessed with building an elaborate model railroad. He doesn't fit in at school and problems occur. It's an interesting story and one that I'm sure most teens will like.