Monday, September 26, 2005

still reading graphic novels

So, instead of reading the suggested titles for the RI Teen Book Award committee meeting I'm going to on Wednesday afternoon, I spent the weekend reading graphic novels! Both books were suggested by a someone who reads a lot of these so I figured they would be worth my time and they were.

First I read The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot. This one has been on the shelf for a few years. It was first published in 1995 and it remains a good read. In this book we meet a girl who has run away from home and is living on the streets of London. Through a series of flashbacks we find out she was sexually abused by her father and that was why she fled. She loves Beatrix Potter books (The Tale of Peter Rabbit) and eventually makes her way to the Lake Country in England where Potter lived and wrote.

The other title I read was Sojourn: From the Ashes by Ron Marz. It's very much a fantasy tale like Lord of the Rings but with a strong woman empowered with saving the kingdom. Unfortunately the library doesn't own the sequels to this one but it was very good. Amazing illustrations too.

Next up: Meridian,Fray and The Escapist.