Sunday, October 09, 2005

Astonishing X-Men: Gifted

Truthfully, my only interaction with the X-Men characters was through the movies until yesterday. I keep asking a co-worker to suggest graphic novels to read and Astonishing X-Men: Gifted was one from yesterday. One of the reasons he thought I would like it is that it's written by Buffy and Firefly creator Joss Whedon. The artist is John Cassaday. Together they create another story of mutants trying to fit into a society afraid of anyone who is different. It kept my interest and I'm sure I'll read another one soon.

Speaking of Joss Whedon, I'm also reading a non-fiction book called Finding Serenity: Anti-heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly. The book is a series of essays edited by Jane Espenson with Glenn Yaffeth. So far I've read the first few essays and they all comment on the show and what made it so unique. If you're a fan of Firefly or you've seen the new movie Serenity this is a must read!