Saturday, November 18, 2006

Larklight by Philip Reeve

It's always great fun for me to receive advance review copies of books. I'm always telling people this, of course, but I don't always read all of them. Sometimes I give them away to teen readers and ask them to report back to me about the book. Their feedback will often be the decision maker as to whether or not I read it.

Right now I'm reading Larklight by Phillip Reeve. He has also written Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold and Infernal Devices. Those three were all about the same characters who exist in an alternate reality where it's the world as we know it but the polar ice caps have melted and therefore some areas of the world aren't accesible the way they are presently.

Anyway, his new one is a science fiction fantasy that takes places in outer space and right now the two main characters, a brother and sister, have fled their home, Larklight, which is floating in space and after crash landing on Mars, have been taken in by a pirate named Jack Havrock. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's Victorian England in outerspace! Interesting and enjoyable so far!