Saturday, February 10, 2007

Buried by Robin Merrow MacCready

Right now I'm reading Buried by Robin Merrow MacCready for RI Teen Book Award consideration. By next month we will have the final 20 titles for students to vote on in 2008 and we will know which book won for favorite in 2007.

In the meantime I've been diligently reading during Teen Movie Night (sorry to say that Employee of the Month with the stellar acting of Dane Cook, Dax Shepard and Jessica Simpson didn't keep my attention as well as New Moon by Stephenie Meyer) and Club Anime at work as well as while waiting for my oil to be changed and during lunch and dinner breaks at work. (OK, truthfully, I did read through this month's InStyle magazine while in the staff room on Wednesday night...what can I say, celebrities, clothes, and parties are a pleasant distraction from life.)

Back to Buried, this is the second book I've read recently about a teen with an alcoholic parent. This time we meet Claudine and wonder how any parent can treat such a good kid the way her mother treats her! For starters, the mother has left town without telling Claude where she has gone and that's just wrong. Claudine is a good student who tries so hard to do the right thing for everyone she knows but it may not be enough to keep up with her lack of a positive parental role model.

I haven't finished this one yet but I'm trying to hurry so I can pass it on to my teen readers here.