Thursday, March 15, 2007

Twilight wins 2007 RITBA!

No big surprise that one of the favorite books of the past year has won for the 2007 RI Teen Book Award. Yes, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was the top vote-getter and I'm excited since it's one that I've read and enjoyed. This is a book that I got as an advance reader copy in late 2005 and I wasn't planning to read it, I was about to pass it on to a student at the library when I emailed the publicist who sent it to me and she encouraged me to read it before I gave it away. As I recall, it was summer and I took the book to the beach with me and I couldn't put it down!

Today I attended the meeting where we narrow the list to 22 books from the 72 we read between September and this week. I read quite a few but not all of the nominees. Some I really liked and others were just so-so. I am pleased that two books I suggested for the list Notes from the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick and Larklight by Phillip Reeve made it to the final list today.

I offered to help out with the discussion modules for two of the titles as well so that should be interesting. I'd like to get a good start on those tomorrow. And I can finish reading a soon to be published book about the life of Helen Keller that I received via the author writing to me on MySpace!