Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dramarama by E. Lockhart

One of my MySpace friends is teen novelist E. Lockhart and when I saw that a new one of hers had been published, I made sure I ordered it for the library. So when Dramarama came into the library last week, I wanted to read it, especially after I read the blurb which gives the scenario as a musical theater summer camp attended by two good high school friends. My close friends and family know that I'm crazy about musical theater and I love listening to the soundtracks of shows such as Rent, Applause, Les Miserables, and Aida. So, of course, after starting the book, I had to listen to some of my Broadway musical soundtracks on CD.

Anyway, back to the book, when Sadye, who loves to dance, and Demi, her closeted and talented best friend, spend the summer at theater camp, it's a summer full of first kisses and full-on frustration, including Sadye's portrayal of a tree as part of the cast in A Midsummer's Night Dream while wearing a unitard, of all things...not a good look on a tall, thin beanpole of a girl!

Books like Lockhart's always make me remember how painful growing up can be so much of the time and yet how much fun it is too.

This book also reminds me of another recent favorite, Diva by Alex Flinn which focuses on a high school girl who attends an arts high school in her pursuit of a career as an opera singer.