Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Jack of Fables: The (Nearly) Great Escape

Because I get word of new books coming out so early, I really get excited when the books finally come into the library and among my favorites of course, are the graphic novels by Bill Willingham. He has writen a great series called "Fables" which I absolutely adore and I'm grateful that a co-worker discovered these and told me about them. Now he has spun off the character of Jack into his own series. Of course I'm not a hardcore fan who reads the comic books when they come out each week, I wait until they are collected in the graphic novel and read them from the library but he is so clever with using these commonly known fairy tale characters and giving them back stories and present day adventures in New York City.

In February when I went to NY Comic Con, I got some bookmarks at the DC booth because Willingham's books are put out by Vertigo which is part of DC Comics. So now I have a Jack of Fables bookmark which shows Jack wearing a t-shirt that says "Ensemble books are for Losers" and that pretty much sums up the character of Jack. He is the Jack who went up the beanstalk and the Jack who jumped over the candlestick too.

You really have to read these. You won't regreat it.