Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

As my librarian friend Jen and I drove to New York City for Book Expo America the weekend before last, she told me about a book she read called Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell. Even though she works in a library, as I do, she bought the book because she thought it looked so good.

Well, wouldn't you know it that we ran into the author at BEA! We went to the Scholastic area hoping to get a Harry Potter book bag but they were all out. In the meantime, Jen's eyes spot the beautiful Lisa Ann standing to the side, talking with another woman who turns out to be Aimee Friedman, another editor/writer!

We chatted with both women and we both got Lisa Ann to sign her new book. Over the weekend I started reading it and it's amazing how quickly I became immersed in the story. It's a verse novel set in the time of King Arthur told from the point of view of the Lady of Shallot.

Anyone who loves a beautifully written story, especially those who are fascinated with the Arthurian legends, should definitely take a look at Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell.