Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Teen Summer Reading 2007

Once again, I've challenged teens, including those entering grades 6 through 12 to read and earn prizes! It's so simple. All you do is read a book and review it in a few sentences, give me that review form and then choose a new book from the drawer (or if you're totally not into books, go ahead and get a few gel pens, pins or other little prizes!

So far I've had a good number of kids who have been busily reading since school was dismissed a week and a half ago. Of course I've been diligently reading too. Just this evening I finished reading What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones. This one was published in 2001 and it's a novel in verse (which means it's all poems) told from the point of view of Sophie, a high school student, who confides about friends and boyfriends, even chatting with a stranger online! The reason why I read this one was that I had just last week read the follow-up book, entitled What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know which continues the story from Robin, the boy she likes, point of view.

Both stories are set in Cambridge, Massachusetts and include a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts, where I went for the first time last summer and thought it was amazing. Just like both of these books. Now I can see why the first book is rarely on the shelf!