Sunday, December 30, 2007

Beastly by Alex Flinn


This past weekend I finished reading Beastly by Alex Flinn
Her re-telling of the Beauty & the Beast story was mentioned earlier this month when I attended a fantastic young adult literature seminar. That day there were dozens of books mentioned but this one grabbed my attention because I've always liked the Disney version. (I know, I know...the caricatured version of men and women are just over the top!) because it features a young woman who likes to read so much that she walks through the village with her nose in a book!

Anyway, back to Alex Flinn's title. I put it on hold and the day it came in, I was able to start on it and my attention was diverted immediately. I was drawn into the story of the handsome and wealthy Kyle Kingsbury and how when he insults a Goth girl in his school, it appears he has made an egregious error when he wakes the next day as a beast!

She gives him two years to find love or he stays forever as a beast! Money certainly helps the suffering because when Kyle's dad exiles him to Brooklyn, he has every amenity including a blind tutor and a dedicated housekeeper who will keep her mouth shut about Kyle's disfigurement.

I've only read Diva by the same author but both books were pleasing...topical with a true teen voice in the narrative