Monday, September 29, 2008

Heaven looks a Lot Like the Mall by Wendy Mass

This novel in verse is narrated from the after life by a girl who is slammed in the head by a ball while playing dodgeball at school! IT was a fast read for me and I liked the insights that the narrator arrives at although I cringed when I read about how she was treated by her looks-obsessed mother. As a mother of sons maybe I don't know how it is but I cannot relate to a mother who criticizes her daughter's looks and only shows her affection for the girl when she finds a fabulous prom dress, fo...more This novel in verse is narrated from the after life by a girl who is slammed in the head by a ball while playing dodgeball at school! IT was a fast read for me and I liked the insights that the narrator arrives at although I cringed when I read about how she was treated by her looks-obsessed mother. As a mother of sons maybe I don't know how it is but I cannot relate to a mother who criticizes her daughter's looks and only shows her affection for the girl when she finds a fabulous prom dress, for example. This is probably not a book that will end up on the final RITBA list, in my opinion