Saturday, November 29, 2008

Larry and the Meaning of Life


Right now I'm wrestling with the notion of whether or not I should nominate this to the RI Teen Book Award list of titles to be considered for 2010! Since it's a sequel and I don't usually like sequels on the list, I'm torn. But, on the other hand, I feel like the book can be read and appreciated even without having reading the earlier books. Why do I think that? Because it's been years since I've read "Vote for Larry," the second book about this character, and I was easily able to fol...more Right now I'm wrestling with the notion of whether or not I should nominate this to the RI Teen Book Award list of titles to be considered for 2010! Since it's a sequel and I don't usually like sequels on the list, I'm torn. But, on the other hand, I feel like the book can be read and appreciated even without having reading the earlier books. Why do I think that? Because it's been years since I've read "Vote for Larry," the second book about this character, and I was easily able to follow the action. The first book, "The Gospel According to Larry" was the first book that I clearly remember a teen telling me about and urging me to read! I was visiting at one of the high schools here in the city and I had a teen come up to me and started telling me about the book which was so neat! And I really enjoyed the story and feel as if "Larry's" message about not having a lot of stuff is still vitally important